Santa isn’t the only one making a list and checking it twice! Everyone has their own holiday traditions that make the season a little brighter, from hanging the stockings to baking holiday cookies with the kids. We have compiled our favorite seasonal Virginia traditions into a simple checklist that will make this year’s Yuletide one you won’t soon forget.
Click on the image below for the full list or print it out here to check off these tinsel-filled to-do’s as you complete this holiday list.
1. Enjoy a Breakfast with Santa in Virginia with the whole family
2. Visit one of the decorated Loveworks around Virginia and snap a picture for your holiday cards.
3. Attend a Grand Illumination or parade in Virginia’s favorite Christmas towns.
4. Pick up the traditional tree at a local Christmas tree farm.
Pictured: Christmas trees at Claybrooke Farm
5. Get your holiday shopping done in one of Virginia’s many amazing shopping districts.
Pictured: Shopping district of Old Town Alexandria
6. Learn about Virginia’s rich history during the holidays when you attend a seasonal celebration at one of Virginia’s historic destinations.
Pictured: Christmas tree at Historic Berkeley Plantation
Pictured: Christmas Town at Busch Gardens
8. Experience Virginia’s holiday flavors at a local restaurant.
Pictured: Holiday meal at Boar’s Head Old Mill Room Restaurant
9. See a seasonal play or show at a nearby theater.
Pictured: Miracle on 34th Street at Barter Theatre in Abingdon
10. Plan a romantic getaway at a decked-out hotel or resort.
Pictured: Holiday decorations in the lobby of the Omni Homestead
11. Break out your favorite over-the-top holiday sweater for a tacky lights tour.
Pictured: Decorated home on the Richmond Tacky Lights Tour
12. Warm up with a steaming cup of hot cocoa in the Commonwealth.
Pictured: Hot chocolate at Blackbird Bakery in Bristol
13. Hear Virginia choirs and musical groups perform your favorite Christmas Carols.
Pictured: Carolers sing on a downtown Harrisonburg Holiday Tour
14. Head west to a Virginia mountain resort for some snowy family fun.
Pictured: Wintergreen Resort
15. Pick up some sweet seasonal treats and goodies from a delicious Virginia bakery.
Pictured: Red Truck Bakery
16. Lace up and hit an ice skating rink with friends or family.
Pictured: Reston Town Center Ice Skating Rink
17. Visit a decorated Virginia winery for some extra holiday cheer.
Pictured: Gray Ghost Winery in Amissville decorates with cork reindeer
Share your favorite Virginia holiday traditions in the comment section below.