With Earth Day on April 22 and Arbor Day April 29, April is viewed as the official “Earth month” in Virginia, but you can support green practices in Virginia’s tourism industry all year long by learning more about the Virginia Green Travel program. Virginia Green helps tourism businesses make voluntary commitments to be good environmental stewards while also helping them grow their business. Green-minded consumers are encouraged to support these Virginia businesses that are official “Virginia Green” participants.
What is Virginia Green?
- Virginia Green Travel partners have certified their environmental commitments through the Virginia Green program.
- The Virginia Green certification is supported and promoted through a partnership between Virginia Tourism, the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality and the Virginia Restaurant Lodging and Travel Association.
- The program requirements include commitments to recycling and waste reduction, energy and water conservation, sustainable purchasing, and the support of green events and meetings.
- Wherever you travel in Virginia, you can find tourism businesses that are committed to protecting the environment
- The program involves green-minded consumers as we ask them to support these businesses and provide customer feedback!
Who is certified Virginia Green?
Virginia Green provides certification programs for all types of tourism businesses and activities in Virginia.
Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden
Certified Virginia Green Attractions include museums, state, local, and national parks, sports arenas, amusement parks, farmer’s markets, resorts, and even shopping can be Virginia Green certified. Here are just a few examples of Virginia Green Attractions:
- Kings Dominion—Doswell
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden—Richmond
- Virginia Living Museum—Newport News
- Birdsong Pleasure Garden—Luray
- Burnside Farms—Haymarket
Fountains Day Spa
Certified Virginia Green Spas offer services and amenities sourced locally or work to conserve through eco-friendly energy and water sources. These spas are a few examples:
- Green Leaf and Pebble Tea Spa—Virginia Beach
- Lotus Day Spa—Norfolk
- The Retreat Salon and Spa—Petersburg
- Mango Salon—Richmond
- Fountains Day Spa—Alexandria
- The Vintage Spa—Rocky Mount
- Westlake Salon & Spa—Hardy
- Healing Waters Day Spa and Salon—Abingdon
- Salamander Spa—Middleburg
- Spa Minerale at Lansdowne Resort—Leesburg
- Little Washington Wellness & Spa—Washington
Certified Virginia Green Lodging partners include hotels, bed and breakfasts, inns, cabins and camping. Here are a few businesses that participate in Virginia Green Lodging:
- Airlie Center—Warrenton
- The Jefferson Hotel—Richmond
- Hilton Downtown—Richmond
- Inn at Tabbs Creek Waterfront B&B—Port Haywood
- Fig Street Inn—Cape Charles
- Renaissance Capital View—Arlington
- Hotel Floyd—Floyd
- Hotel Monaco—Alexandria
- Fieldstone Farm B&B—Hillsboro
- Boar’s Head—Charlottesville
- The Hotel Roanoke and Conference Center—Roanoke
- Oak Grove Plantation—South Boston
- The Peaks of Otter Lodge—Bedford
- Mountain Lake Lodge—Pembroke
- Llewellyn Inn B&B—Lexington
The Daily Kitchen & Bar
Restaurants, café’s, and even food carts can be certified Virginia Green with commitments to recycling, eco-friendly disposables, and sustainable foods. These are some great examples:
- The Daily Kitchen & Bar—Richmond
- Local Roots—Roanoke
- The Chamberlin—Hampton
- Terrapin Restaurant—Virginia Beach
- Passion the Restaurant—Chesapeake
- Captain George’s—Williamsburg
- The Light Well—Orange
- Preston’s Restaurant—Blacksburg
- Harvest Table Restaurant—Meadowview
Virginia Green certified Wineries & Breweries are committed to sustainable practices.
- Attimo Winery—Christiansburg
- Cooper Vineyards—Louisa
- CrossKeys Vineyard—Mt. Crawford
- Delaplane Cellars—Delaplane
- DuCard Vineyards—Etlan
- Lexington Valley Vineyard—Rockbridge Baths
- North Gate Vineyard – Purcellville
- Philip Carter Winery—Hume
- West Wind Farm Vineyard & Winery—Max Meadows
- Blue Mountain Barrel House—Arrington
- Caboose Brewing Company—Vienna
- Hardywood Brewery—Richmond
- Lickinghole Creek Craft Brewery—Goochland
- Port City Brewing Company—Alexandria
- Wild Wolf Brewing Company—Nellysford
Virginia Green certified festivals & events have made commitments to recycle and reduce the wastefulness of major events. 400+ have been certified as Virginia Green – here are a few:
- Marine Corps Marathon—Quantico
- Richmond Folk Festival—Richmond
- Virginia Wine Expo—Richmond
- Hampton Bay Days—Hampton
- Neptune Festival—Virginia Beach
- Norfolk Harborfest—Norfolk
…..and dozens of Earth Day festivals across the Commonwealth!
To discover what eco-friendly Virginia destinations are near you or plan your next green vacation, go to www.VirginiaGreenTravel.org.