When a little merry is what you seek, a little merry is what you shall find. Gather your friends and family to kick off the holiday season in a bright way. We have five suggestions that are sure to delight.
— FIREWORKS —
Surprise! There are fireworks this time of year in Virginia; no need to wait until New Year’s Eve or Independence Day when there are major displays for your enjoyment.
Christmas Illumination at Mount Vernon
— LIGHTED BOAT PARADES —
An interesting way to light up the season is with an evening parade of decorated, lighted boats on the water, and there are a few places to enjoy such a show in Virginia.
Christmas Illuminated Boat Parade in Alexandria by R. Kennedy.
— CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTINGS —
Many Virginia communities gather together to flip the switch on their annual tree, so these mentions do not scratch the surface. Discover more.
Annual Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony, Chincoteague Island. Photo by JMS Photography.
— CANDLELIGHT HOME TOURS —
Virginia’s historic homes and private residences are putting candles in the windows, wreaths on the door, and a welcome mat out front just for you this season. Come on in and take a look around.
– Monument Avenue, Richmond
– Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest, Forest
– Lantern Tours at Meadow Farm, Glen Allen
– James River Plantation, Williamsburg
– George Washington’s Mount Vernon, Mount Vernon
– Stratford Hall, Stratford
– Christmas at Oatlands, Leesburg
– Discover More
— DRIVES FOR LIGHTS —
Drive all 100 Miles of Lights or pick a few experiences here and there this season. You don’t even have to get out of the car.
– McDonald’s Holiday Lights at the Beach, drive the boardwalk at Virginia Beach
– Celebration in Lights, Newport News
– Elks National Home Christmas Lights Display, Bedford
– Illuminate Light Show & Santa’s Village, Doswell
– Celebration of Lights, Staunton