The recent El Capitan Dawn Wall climb at Yosemite was an inspiring story of resilience and tenacity, and it made me think, “Which of Virginia’s mountains would be inspirational for someone to conquer?” Of course, any of them would be tremendous achievements, depending on your story and your goal.
Chad Heddleston of Shenandoah Mountain Guides wrote last year on his blog, “The personal battle to overcome a difficult or dangerous climb is a growth experience I cannot describe, and teaching someone else to fight through to complete a challenge is an unforgettable victory for both parties. Etched in my mind forever is the view from the top of the Old Rag …”
Old Rag Mountain is just one of Virginia’s exhilarating heights. Look to social media sites like Instagram and you’ll see common themes across some of Virginia’s great peaks, which we’ve included in a slideshow below.
Some Virginia Favorites:
- Mary’s Rock
- Hawksbill – the highest peak in Shenandoah National Park at 4,050′
- Spy Rock
- Humpback Rocks
- The Three Peaks of Otter
- Mount Rogers – the highest peak in Virginia at 5,729′
- 14 Epic Mountain Biking Destinations – Recommended by an experienced Virginia mountain biker
- Virginia’s Best Hikes – Selected by our social media followers
- Favorite Winter Hikes – Also selected by our followers