This is definitely not for the faint of heart. But for those who dare, these extreme and not-so-typical sporting adventures will get the heart pumpin’. Tell us about some of your Virginia Adrenaline Adventures!
1. BMX From the moment the starting gate slams down and you and up to seven other racers blast at a full sprint toward the first obstacle, BMX racing will give you that rush of adrenaline you’ve been looking for. Big jumps can mean big air. Steep backsides, deep turns, and downhill sections can add up to massive speeds. NOVA BMX in Woodbridge is the premier bike riding and racing track area in Northern Virginia for BMX riders. The race track features practice runs, open ride times, BMX riding clinics, and local weekly races.
2. Skydiving Many would agree that skydiving is one of the most exhilarating and extreme adventures out there. Virginia has skydiving locations abound, so if you’re a beginner or a seasoned vet, be prepared to have one of the best experiences of a lifetime as you take in the sights of the Commonwealth from above. Facilities offer tandem skydiving and various training, and certification options, as well as jumps from different heights. Virginia Skydiving Center in Petersburg will give you views of the Richmond skyline, the James and Appomattox Rivers, and more. Or try out Skydive Orange in Northern Virginia or Skydive Suffolk, Inc. in Hampton Roads.
3. Wild ATV Trails Ride Virginia’s newest and most exciting trail destination! The Mountain View “Off Highway Vehicle” (OHV) system on the Spearhead Trail is a multi-use trail system primarily designed for ATVs and Side by Sides. The 60+ miles of picturesque trails begin in the town of St. Paul, where riders have access to a vast selection of lodging, shopping, and dining offerings. The trail system offers a mix of green and blue trails for riders wishing for a more easy-going experience. Mountain View also offers experienced riders a heart-pounding assortment of black trails for hard core ATV riders. The trail’s original Pocahontas ATV Trail System is now open, offering riders a more “deep woods” experience. The trail will continue to grow, as more than 30 miles is currently open, with plans for an additional 20+ miles to open mid-2015.
4. Paintball Take a trip to Hampton and you’ll find Bethel Battlefield Paintball Park, where the staff’s professionals deliver a thrilling experience for their guests. Woodsball, Hyperball, Airball and their MOUT sites are just a few of the playing fields that continue to bring players back to Bethel to relive that hair raising, on the edge feeling that all adrenaline junkies are in search of.
5. Sporting Clays Available in Lexington, just think of it as golf with a shotgun… It’s a form of clay pigeon shooting, with 10-15 different shooting stations laid out over natural terrain. Sporting Clays simulates the unpredictability of live-quarry shooting, offering a variety of trajectories, angles, speeds, elevations, distances and target sizes– much like a golf course!
There’s lots to choose from and whether you’re visiting the Heart of Appalachia, Shenandoah Valley or Hampton Roads, there’s always somewhere to get your heart racing!