If you like to visit the places you see highlighted on TV, we have the hook-up to Guy Fieri’s Diners, Drive-ins and Dives! Take a Food Network-inspired tour from Richmond to Hampton Roads, Virginia …
- From the “Something Different” episode, pull up a booth at Dots Back Inn in Richmond. Having dined there myself, I can vouch for the true diner feel. The blackened chicken breast sandwich with fresh pesto is top-notch!
- A good local hang-out in Richmond? The Village Cafe, as featured on the “Neighborhood Joints” episode, is famous with the Virginia Commonwealth University students.
- Heading toward the coast from Richmond, swing through Wakefield for a ham biscuit at Virginia Diner, the place for great peanuts and southern food lovin’. You won’t believe how they make their collard greens. Virginia Diner was highlighted on the “Regional Favorites” episode.
- Just a hop, skip and a jump farther in Carrollton is Captain Chuck-A-Mucks, featured on the “Where the Locals Eat” episode. Fresh seafood – crab cakes, in particular – are reason enough for a visit.
- Finally, it’s time for dessert in Norfolk. As seen on the “Brain Freeze” episode, Doumar’s is the place for the original ice cream cone. Seriously. Pull up to this real drive-in with carhops to order a shake, cone, or authentic diner food like burgers, barbecue, or their signature limeaid. They even make their own syrups!
Wow. I’m a little hungry now and this sounds like an awesome weekend roadtrip. Thanks, Guy, for showing off the hidden foodie gems of Virginia!