by Casey | Posted on June 28th, 2011
Kings Dominion has a new nighttime glow about it. The switch was flipped June 18 for Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular – a bright experience of more than 1.2 million LED lights.
Set to a family friendly Top 40′s soundtrack, the lights dance from the Eiffel Tower to The Grove – from the trunks of trees to 80 feet off the ground.
So just what do those 1.2 million+ lights equate to? Stretch the 25,449 strands end to end, and they’d run from KD to Virginia Beach! Forty trees are wrapped (from 20 to 80-feet tall), and more than 4,000 bulbs add a bit of dazzle to the iconic Eiffel Tower.
More than tree-wrapping, families can expect to see the notable PEANUTS™ characters illuminated, too. Four of them stand up to ten feet tall near the Eiffel Tower, not to mention new PEANUTS™ comic strips – 14 of them – are aglow, too.
Of course you want to see this million-dollar addition to Kings Dominion, but there’s more! Make a day of it. The park opens at 10 a.m. and here are a few other items that might make it onto your to-do list.
- Intimidator™305 – Voted 2010′s Best New Coaster by Amusement Today Magazine – tallest and fastest coaster on the East Coast; North America’s second Giga-coaster ever-built. Debuted in 2010.
- The Dominator – It’s the world’s longest floorless coaster and includes interlocking corkscrews, cobra rolls, and the world’s largest loop (4,210 feet) as it zooms off to speeds of 67 mph. Introduced in 2008.
- Big Wave Bay – Beat the heat in 650,000 gallons of tidal wave action! Waves can crest at 4-feet high and fall to a gentle lap on the “beach”. Chairs and umbrellas invite you to settle in.
- Lazy River – A 1/4-mile meandering chillaxin’ machine – that’s the Lazy River. Grab a tube and leave your cares behind … for a short while, anyway. The only downside? It’s only a 1/4-mile.
- Carousel is a classic, and it’s just one of the rides the entire family can enjoy. What’s not to love about hobby horses?
- Planet Snoopy – The perfect destination for the wee ones of the bunch. From Joe Cool Driving School – where your kid gets behind the wheel – to Snoopy’s Splash Dance – a place to cool off with water even without a swimsuit – this is a great place to hang out.
- Nights of Fire - Fireworks set to music! They are the encore of Snoopy’s Starlight Spectacular and send you home with a bang.
The best way to save big on Kings Dominion tickets is to purchase them directly from KD at their website. The incentive? Purchase your tickets no less that three days in advance and save $16! Plan your Kings Dominion trip now, or book a travel package to include a room night: