by Casey | Posted on June 28th, 2011
Independence Day is one of the most awaited holidays of the year. It’s the centerpiece of summer, a long weekend, a time of delight for children, and the cornerstone of many vacations. Why not celebrate America’s 235 years of independence from Great Britain in the state where America’s history begins?
Independence Day and Virginia
- The Declaration of Independence was proposed by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia in June 1776.
- Thomas Jefferson was the primary author of the Declaration of Independence. His home was Monticello in Charlottesville, VA. Jefferson’s secluded retreat, Poplar Forest, is the venue for an Independence Day Celebration that includes a reading of the Declaration.
- Thomas Jefferson died on July 4, 1826 – the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
- Visit Independence, Virginia, a small town that celebrates in an old-fashioned way.
Ways to Celebrate
- Festivals - From Revolutionary reenactments in Yorktown and fireworks choreographed to the 1812 Overture in Fairfax, to free birthday cake at George Washington’s Mount Vernon Estate & Gardens, an Independence Day festival is near you and way cool.
- Parades – Such an occasion as independence requires pomp and circumstance. Line the streets for parades across the Commonwealth!
- Sip Wine – Relax with a glass of vino, patio scenes, and a refreshing dinner at a nearby winery. Virginia has around 200, so you shouldn’t have to look far.
- FIREWORKS – They’re statewide and plentiful, so just look up! User our Fireworks Finder to locate the sparks closest to you.
- Day Time Fun – Check out July Jubilee at Wintergreen Resort – chairlift rides, movies under the stars, and lots of family fun. Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond offers free admission! A waterplay area is just the beginning of the fun your kids can have. (see more)
- Get Away!
- Save 10% when you book a villa in Warm Springs. Lake Moomaw and Douthat State Park are nearby.
- Save 20% at Point Plaza Suites in Newport News – so many attractions, so little time.
- Our military personnel deserve a break and huge thanks. Check out the many discounts available and plan a freedom-filled weekend of family fun!