Updated December 2, 2014.
Some have green thumbs and others have fingers that can make something extraordinary from scraps. Is that you? I enjoy the challenge of crafting during the season of merriment and have identified 12 places for you to knock out some Pinterest inspiration and get your Picasso on.
Paint-your-own pottery is a hit for those who don’t own a potter’s wheel and a kiln. Walk in, pick the piece you’d like to paint, and get to it. Some studios offer a flat fee where the price tag on the piece includes firing. Others offer a flat firing fee that applies to all of the pieces you paint that day.
- All Fired Up has three locations in the metro Richmond region – Midlothian, Carytown and Short Pump
- Color Me Mine is another Richmond paint-your-own business.
- You Made It! LLC in Harrisonburg is open daily for your painting pleasure.
Keep your eye on art centers for class offerings geared toward adults or kids. You’ll find glass fusing, whittling, basketry, glass blowing, watercolor painting and more. You just need to know where to look!
- Alleghany Highlands Arts and Crafts Center is located in Covington and has a Picasso Divas class for adults on December 11. It’s an eat-drink-paint kind of night.
- Heartwood: Southwest Virginia’s Artisan Center in Abingdon is hosting a “make and take” holiday craft workshop for kids on December 6.
- Bay School Community Arts Center in Mathews is all about teaching. Sign up for a wide selection of upcoming classes like holiday wreath making and pottery.
- Let’s Paint is located in Virginia Beach within Barclay Towers Resort on the oceanfront.
- The Portsmouth Arts and Cultural Center is offering classes for gingerbread houses, candles, and more this season.
- Sunspots Studios & Glass Blowing in Staunton invites you to blow your own glass ornament daily, by appointment.
- The Artisan Center in Martinsville always has something going on. Upcoming are the workshops for herbal wreaths, paper Christmas trees, .
- The Glass Palette in Charlottesville is a studio where people of all ages can come in and fuse their own glass creations every day of the week.
- The Jacksonville Center for the Arts in Floyd is offering a glass ornaments class December 13 and 14.
If you’re really not the crafty type but appreciate the art of others, explore our Arts Directory to locate an established painter, carver, potter, or other tradesperson for your holiday gift giving.