12 Places to Craft for Christmas
by Casey | Posted on November 21st, 2013
Some have green thumbs and others have fingers that can make something extraordinary from scraps. Is that you? I enjoy the challenge of crafting during the season of merriment and have identified 12 places for you to knock out some Pinterest inspiration and get your Picasso on.
Paint-your-own pottery is a hit for those who don’t own a potter’s wheel and a kiln. Walk in, pick the piece you’d like to paint, and get to it. Some studios offer a flat fee where the price tag on the piece includes firing. Others offer a flat firing fee that applies to all of the pieces you paint that day.
- All Fired Up has three locations in the metro Richmond region – Midlothian, Carytown and Short Pump
- Color Me Mine is another Richmond paint-your-own business.
- You Made It! LLC in Harrisonburg is open daily for your painting pleasure.
Keep your eye on art centers for class offerings geared toward adults or kids. You’ll find glass fusing, whittling, basketry, glass blowing, watercolor painting and more. You just need to know where to look!
- Alleghany Highlands Arts and Crafts Center is located in Covington and has a Whittling Make-and-Take class for adults on November 23.
- ArtSquare in Leesburg has many classes to offer, but of note is the Holiday Card Workshop for ages 10 and up on December 8.
- Arts Depot in Abingdon has a Terra Cotta Angel workshop for all ages. Two dates: November 23 and December 7.
- Bay School Community Arts Center is all about teaching. Sign up for a wide selection of upcoming classes: No-Sew Christmas Stocking, Christmas Tree Basket, Kids Gingerbread House and more.
- Let’s Paint is located in Virginia Beach within Barclay Towers Resort on the oceanfront.
- The Portsmouth Arts and Cultural Center is offering an Ornament and Tile Workshop November 29 and 30.
- Sunspots Studios & Glass Blowing in Staunton invites you to blow your own glass ornament daily, by appointment.
- The Glass Palette in Charlottesville is a studio where people of all ages can come in and fuse their own glass creations every day of the week.
- The Jacksonville Center for the Arts in Floyd has a wide variety of classes coming up: Needle Felting, Solid and Blown Glass Ornaments, Metal Ornament Experience and more.
If you’re really not the crafty type but appreciate the art of others, explore our Arts Directory to locate an established painter, carver, potter, or other tradesperson for your holiday gift giving.
Virginia is for Lovers.