There is no shortage of great wine in Virginia with more than 230 wineries. Here are a few ideas to help you kick off your Virginia Wine Month adventure.
Sip the signature Virginia Viognier and Cabernet Franc from the leaders in its production – Barboursville, Keswick, Jefferson, Pollak, and Veritas – all in the greater Charlottesville area. Within easy driving distance of one another, you can easily make it a two-day excursion or spread it out to three. MAP
Why not pay a visit to recent recipients of the “Best of Readers’ Choice Awards” by Virginia Wine Lover Magazine to see which wines and wineries Virginians love most?
Best of … Central Virginia
- Best Winery – Gray Ghost Vineyards, Amissville
- Best Dessert Wine –
- Peaks of Otter – Pumpkin Pie
- Best Fruit Wine – Peaks of Otter – Light Sweet Peach
- Best Red Wine – Gray Ghost – Cabernet Franc 2011
- Best Sparkling Wine – Barboursville – Brut
- Best White Wine – Veritas – Viognier
Best of … Eastern Virginia
- Best Winery – Chatham Vineyards
- Best Dessert Wine – Williamsburg – Late Harvest Vidal Blanc 2009
- Best Fruit Wine – Williamsburg – Raspberry Merlot
- Best Red Wine – Chatham – Cabernet Franc 2009/2010 blend
- Best Sparkling Wine – Ingleside – Virginia Brut
- Best White Wine – Chatham – Church Creek Steel (unoaked) Chardonnay 2010
Best of … Northern Virginia
- Best Winery – Sunset Hills Vineyard, Purcellville
- Best Dessert Wine – Breaux – Nebbiolo Ice 2011
- Best Fruit Wine – Mattaponi – Pow Wow Chocolate-Covered Strawberry
- Best Red Wine – Barrel Oak – BOW Norton 2011
- Best Sparkling Wine – Paradise Springs – Apres Sparkling Viognier
- Best White Wine – Sunset Hills – Viognier 2011
Best of … Shenandoah Virginia
- Best Winery – Cave Ridge Vineyard, Mount Jackson
- Best Dessert Wine – Cave Ridge – Fandango 2010
- Best Fruit Wine – Shenandoah – Raspberry Serenade
- Best Red Wine – Cave Ridge – Red Silk 2007
- Best White Wine – Bluestone – Beau
- Best Winery – Rosemont Vineyards and Winery, La Crosse
- Best Dessert Wine – Rosemont – Lake Country Sunset
- Best Fruit Wine – Bright Meadows Farm – BAG Wine (Blackberry, Apple, Grape [Concord])
- Best Red Wine – Annefield – Cabernet Franc 2010
- Best White Wine – Annefield – Viognier 2011
Best of … Western Virginia
- Best Winery – Chateau Morrisette, Floyd
- Best Dessert Wine – Chateau Morrisette – Frosty Dog
- Best Fruit Wine – Attimo – Sweet Berry Sunset
- Best Red Wine – Attimo – A.D. 325 2011
- Best Sparkling Wine – Chateau Morrisette – Star Dog 2008
- Best White Wine – Chateau Morrisette – Our Dog Blue
Finally, stretch your legs for a few days with a Virginia 48-Hour Fall Getaway that is riddled with wineries and great food. Our two examples include wineries in Northern Virginia (Berryville to Delaplane) and Coastal Virginia (Eastern Shore to Williamsburg and beyond).
These are just a few ideas to get you started, but we have a handy-dandy wine map that might generate a few more ideas. Check it out, and use our other friendly tool, the Trip Planner, to make your own custom weekend complete with driving directions.
LOVE is at the heart of every Virginia vacation.
Virginia is for Lovers.