Big Theatre in a Little Virginia Town
by Casey | Posted on May 2nd, 2013
Have you ever visited Abingdon, Virginia? Besides being a beautiful town with a world-renowned hotel and spa and the 34.3-mile Virginia Creeper Trail, Abingdon has big talent on stage at the Barter Theatre, the State Theatre of Virginia.
Plan a weekday or weekend visit to take in a show or two. Nearby hotels offer packages that include show tickets, although another notion is to purchase a deal from the Barter itself. Enjoy your show with extras thrown in. See below!
Summer 2013 Schedule
- May 2, 4, 5, 7, 9-11: “I’ll Never Be Hungry Again” - Gone With the Wind as a musical-comedy! Described as Mad magazine meets Scarlett O’Hara as performed by Monty Python.
- May 2-4, 8-9, 11: “Little Women” – Adapted pretty straight forward from Louisa May Alcott’s treasured novel of the same name.
- May 2, 4-5: “Half a World Away” – Noted as a timely story of the timeless desire to belong, this is a powerful play about the immigrant experience of a 17-year-old boy who has spent half his life in Burma and the other half in America.
- Select dates May through August – “The Blonde, the Brunette & the Vengeful Redhead” – A one-woman show about the day Rhonda went berserk at the mall when she sees her husband carrying on with the blonde at the jewelry counter.
- Select dates May through August – “Les Miserables” – One of the most loved musicals of all time, entirely in the Barter’s own production.
- Select dates May through August – “Southern Fried Funeral” – A big-hearted comedy about Southern family, manners and traditions. You’ll laugh out loud!
- Select dates June and July – “A Streetcar Named Desire” – One of the 20th century’s most enduring plays by Tennessee Williams, one of the south’s greatest writers.
- Select dates June and July – “The Gin Game” – Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize winner, “The Gin Game” is a game of gin rummy between two nursing home residents that drums up old heartaches and resentments.
- Select dates July and August – “Hanging Mary” – This is a brand new tale of a significant regional story – that of a circus elephant named Mary who meets an untimely end for murder. Only eight performances!
- Select dates August and September – “Good Ol’ Girls” – Love a strong southern woman? Don’t miss this musical quilted together by chart-topping country pop writers. Bring the girls and tap your toes!
Plan a Trip!
- $70 for two tickets, two gourmet desserts and two specialty coffees at Barter Theatre and Barter Theatre Cafe
- $85 for all of the above plus two meals at Barter Theatre and Barter Cafe
- $155 for two at The Martha - one night, two tickets, two three-course dinners at The Martha
- $165 for two at Holiday Inn Express - one night, two tickets
- $228-$466 for two at Summerfield Inn – one or two nights, two tickets, afternoon refreshments, gourmet breakfast
Discover more historic Virginia theatres at Virginia.org/Theatres.