by Casey | Posted on May 30th, 2013
June 1 is National Trails Day and the official kick-off to Virginia’s Great Outdoors Month. Below, find plenty to do and LOVE the outdoors.
National Trails Day Events
- Haysi – The town of Haysi in the county of Dickenson invites you to a 3K trail event along with their annual Mile Long Yard Sale & Scavenger Hunt. The 3K is a run/walk/bike event open to all ages, and it’s pet-friendly, too. Prizes will be awarded for the best dressed, cutest, ugliest and more, so get creative. A simultaneous kids’ trail event will also offer prizes for the best decorated wagon, bike or kid.
- Mouth of Wilson – Hike with a park ranger through alpine fields, a boreal forest and stunning rock formations to the summit of Virginia’s highest peak – Mount Rogers. Be sure to pack your lunch, water and sunscreen, and wear sturdy shoes.
- Farmville – The Life is Complicated, Running is Simple 5K starts at Main Street Plaza and follows an out-and-back course that includes High Bridge Trail State Park. If you’ve been eyeing that soaring 160′ high train trestle, this is a great excuse to check it out. Another good excuse? The top overall mail and female finishers will be awarded with a free weekend cabin stay at a Virginia State Park. #Winning
- Montebello – Convene on the Montebello Fish Hatchery from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for a nature walk. Appalachian Trail hikers and an AT Ridge Runner will be on hand to answer your questions about hiking Spy Rock, Crabtree Falls, Priest Wilderness and the AT itself. Photo displays, maps and more will be available.
- Coeburn – Camp out with Cliffhanger Ranch Adventure Outpost to enjoy National Trails Day activities all weekend long. Venture off on your own
- Pitch your tent Friday any time after 1 p.m.
- Saturday Fun:
- 8 a.m.: Hike Chief Benge (RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 10 a.m.: Trail Ride Little Stony with the Scott County Regional Horse Association
- Anytime: Bike Guest River Gorge (shuttles and limited rentals available)
- Dusk: Bonfire on the Hill
- Sunday Fun:
- Woodbridge – Lend a hand as Leesylvania State Park combines National Trails Day with Clean the Bay Day. It’s a day to remember the importance of the environment and preserve the park trails to keep the Chesapeake Bay protected from watershed pollution.
Want to enjoy National Trails Day on your own? Here are a few destinations for maximum Virginia beauty (click a photo for more info on the destination).