Love to be one of the first to experience something new? Fortunately, there are quite a few new things you can look forward to in Virginia this summer. Which ones will make your must-do list?
Kings Dominion has completely revitalized and expanded their kids Planet Snoopy area. Your family will now find nearly 14 acres of fun that includes 18 rides. It’s the world’s biggest PEANUTS themed children’s area and you can be among the first to give it a whirl. KD is located in Doswell and opens this Saturday, March 29. Get Tickets
The geocaching craze is spreading to families like wildfire and Virginia State Parks have a brand new Tree-mendous Adventure for 2013 – one you won’t want to miss. This year’s quest is all about Virginia’s native trees. Visit five parks and then register on Virginia Outdoors to receive a special prize. Hit all 34 caches and there might be another special surprise. Don’t have a handheld GPS? No worries. All Virginia State Parks have them available for rent.
LOVE our LOVEworks? There are more than 15 coming soon, and they stretch across the entire state. We’ll have the full list for you as soon as we’re able to share, but for now, catch a glimpse of the LOVEwork Richmond International Raceway is building. One thing is for sure – those who have made a game out of “finding the LOVE” have their work cut out for them!
ATV enthusiasts, rejoice! Finally, the Spearhead Trail in Southwest Virginia is opening this summer! Phase one – The Mountain View Trail System – opens in June. Permits will be available for sale in May. The Mountain View Trail highlights the best of southwest’s outdoors – amazing views from the mountains and lush, forest-lined creeks. Additionally, watch for 20 miles of the Leeman Field System to open sometime this year.
More to LOVE:
- The 80th Historic Garden Week in Virginia kicks off April 20 and features more than 250 properties.
- Center in the Square in Roanoke opens in May after a multi-year capital renovation.
- 2013 is the 50th season of Trail of the Lonesome Pine in Big Stone Gap. It’s the official Outdoor Drama of Virginia.
- Salamander Resort & Spa in Middleburg opens in August.
- August 2012 was the inaugural Virginia Craft Beer Month – make a note to join in for another round.