Innovation 2012 is the theme of this year’s Wintergreen Performing Arts Summer Music Festival, set to kick off Friday, July 6 and run through Sunday, August 5. The focus of innovation will include innovators – both familiar and unfamiliar – who have moved us in new directions in dance, music, theatre, film, food, wine and the visual arts.
From a musical standpoint, attendees to these events can expect to hear the works of Ludwig van Beethoven as well as brand new pieces written by student composers in settings that vary from the Evans Center at Wintergreen Resort to the Big Red Barn at Rodes Farm in Nellysford. From classical and intimate to new and center stage, there’s a setting and a performance for everyone.
- 7/6: Opening Night Reception and Performance
- 7/7 and 7/8: Classics – Anton Bruckner, Remo Pignoni, Carlos Guastavino, Pedro Saenz and Paul Schoenfield
- 7/8: Coffee Concert – Michel Richard de Lalande, Bohulsav Martinu, Heinrich Ignaz Franz von Biber, Theobald Boehm and Charles Ives
- 7/11: Wild Wednesday – Astor Piazzolla
- 7/12: Barn Bach – Johann Sebastian Bach
- 7/13: Chamber Music – David MacBride, Joseph Haydn, Michael White, Igor Stravinsky and Robert Schumann
- 7/15: Coffee Classics – Ludwig van Beethoven, Claude Debussy, Edgard Varese, MacBride and Charles Martin Loeffler
- 7/18: Wild Wednesday – Jazz – influences of Thelonius Monk, Dizzy Gillespie, Herbie Hancock and more.
- 7/19: Mozart’s Magical Mystery Tour
- 7/21: Under the Big Top: A Happening
- 7/21 and 7/22: Classics – Schumann, Joseph Rheinberger, Charles Gounod
- 7/22: Coffee Concert – Eric Ewazen, MacBride, Schumann
- 7/23: Art Song and Opera – Johannes Brahms, Aaron Copland, Samuel Barber, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, George Frideric Handel, Carl Maria von Weber and Richard Wagner
- 7/25: Wild Wednesday – Jazz – influences of Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Miles Davis and more.
- 7/28 and 7/29: Classics – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Brahms
- 7/29: Coffee Classics – Ewazen and Debussy
- 7/30-8/4: Where Chaos Sleeps – World Premiere of the play by Peter Coy.
- 7/31: Barn Bach – Bach
- 8/1: Wild Wednesday – Edvard Grieg, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Barber, Heitor Villa-Lobos and Francisco Mignone
- 8/2: Thrilling Thursday – Bowen McCauley Dance presents “Lucy’s Local Playlist,” choreography inspired by the music of ten Greater Washington, DC bands and artists.
- 8/4 and 8/5: Classics – Bowen McCauley Dance presents choreography to Beethoven, Max Bruch and Stravinsky.
- 8/5: Coffee Classics – Featuring the Academy Chamber Players and Academy String Orchestra under the direction of Joseph J. Nigro, guest conductor.
Download the Wintergreen Summer Music Festival Ticket Booklet for a complete schedule and details.
LOVE is at the heart of every Virginia vacation. Virginia is for Lovers.
Request a free Virginia Travel Guide.