by Casey | Posted on July 19th, 2012
The great outdoors bring families to Virginia to unplug, unwind and just be together. Take advantage of the remaining summer weekends – or plan a fall weekend – to escape to one of Virginia’s campgrounds or a Virginia State Park.
Virginia offers all types of camping in various climates and terrains. Beach and lake-based campgrounds are especially popular this time of year and often have great family attractions nearby.
- First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach is Virginia’s most visited State Park. The beach you’ll find there is actually on the Chesapeake Bay, not the Atlantic, so it’s much calmer water for little swimmers.
- Holiday Trav-L-Park is the closest campground to the Virginia Beach oceanfront. You can bicycle to the sand or there is designated free parking for campers.
- North Landing Beach Campground & RV Resort in Virginia Beach is located on the North Landing River and offers a variety of camp sites, even primitive beach tent camping.
- Cherrystone Family Camping Resort in Cheriton on the Eastern Shore is 300 acres on the waterfront of the Chesapeake Bay where you can, indeed, see a beach sunset in Virginia.
- Bethpage Camp-Resort in Urbanna boasts over 1,000 camp sites and an abundance of those are located on a peninsula in Robinson’s Creek – a tributary of the Rappahannock River and Chesapeake Bay. Also find a large lake, multiple pools and a waterpark here.
- Christopher Run Campground in Mineral is located on Lake Anna – Virginia’s third largest lake. Families will enjoy the beach area, as well as marina and boat rentals.
- Lake Shore Campground in Abingdon is situated on the South Holston River. You won’t find a long list of activities and amenities but you will find great fishing, a beach for relaxation, and a quiet, comfortable place to completly connect.
- More Virginia Campgrounds
If you need more inspiration or want a ‘best of the best’ list, see our post from 2010 that includes 12 Virginia campgrounds that made the cut for ReserveAmerica’s Top 100 Family Campgrounds.
LOVE is at the heart of every Virginia vacation. Virginia is for Lovers.
Order a free copy of the 2012 Virginia Travel Guide.