Tall Ships Pack the Harbor in Norfolk
by Casey | Posted on June 6th, 2012
This is the time to get up close and personal with gigantic ships. Truly, you can’t appreciate their enormity until you’re standing next to them.
Norfolk Harborfest® is a long-loved festival in Virginia and this year is especially impressive as it’s the cornerstone event for the grand OpSail 2012 Virginia™ celebration that began June 1 and contines through June 12.
Harborfest® kicks off this Friday, June 8, and is packed with waterfront activities for the whole family. The Parade of Sail (all the tall ships sailing through with their flags flying), a tremendous fireworks show (the largest on the East Coast), tall ship tours, pirates, Virginia wine sampling, and so much more make this four-day festival worth the drive and long weekend stay. The events are free and you can expect more than 130 hours of live entertainment on several stages, including some national musical acts!
- Gavin DeGraw – Friday at 6PM
- Colbie Caillat – Friday at 8:30 PM
- Bruce Hornsby & the Noisemakers – Saturday at 8:30 PM
- Edwin McCain – Sunday at 3:45 PM
~ These performers will be on the Budweiser Main Stage at Town Point Park.
Familes, there is something special in store for you on Sunday! From 10 AM until noon, enjoy a meet-and-greet with Nick Jr’s Foofa™ & Toodee™ from yo! gabba! gabba!™ ©2010. They’ll be at the Main Stage awaiting your arrival along with three nearby bounce houses, a balloon artist and face painting.
Tips for Harborfest®:
- Welcome Centers are positioned at key points and can offer visitor assistance, as well as comfort stations for infant diaper changing: West Ghent Piers at MHI, Plum Point and Front Street Park at Fort Norfolk, Freemason Green, Harbor Park, Town Point Park & NOAA.
- Shaded seating is available in the Boathouse and the Tavern within Town Point Park, Freemason Green, Front Street Stage at Front Street Park and MHI Stage at West Ghent Piers. You’ll find bistro tables, chairs, and umbrellas spread throughout the festival area.
- PROHIBITED: bikes, skateboards, roller skates, scooters, any and all motorized vehicles, glass bottles, and pets that are not for disability assistance.
- For guests with disabilities, parking is available at all City of Norfolk parking garages and wheelchair accessible portolets are stationed in Town Point Park, West Ghent Piers at MHI, and Front Street Park at Fort Norfolk. Special seating arrangements can be made for stage performances, just inquire with event security or a uniformed staff member.
- Download the official program for more information regarding parking, free shuttles, the event schedule, and maps of the festival: 1 of 2 * 2 of 2
LOVE is at the heart of every Virginia vacation. Virginia is for Lovers.
Request your free Virginia Travel Guide.