Do It Up for Dad
by Casey | Posted on June 7th, 2012
Father’s Day is just around the bend. What’s your plan? You can kick it low key with a car show or boat cruise, or maybe join in the crowd for a major concert. Here are some ideas to fuel your Daddy’s Day thoughts.
About those cars shows …
- In Orange, the Annual Big Damn Bike Show holds true to its name – tons of motorcycles along with food, music, prizes for raffle, and maybe a bit more. It’s all day Saturday, June 16 at Waugh Harley-Davidson.
- Pearisburg holds a car show on Saturday along with their annual Pearisburg Festival that’s happening all weekend long. Have a great family time with rides, live music, games, and more.
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden in Richmond has a kids play area and there will be a free concert on June 17 with your paid admission, not to mention classic cars and motorcycles will be displayed, too.
- You can cruise on a horse, right? Try a trail ride and campfire lunch with Reba Farm Inn in Bedford. The $60 two-hour ride is one cool experience for dad and the family, and it’s available June 15 and 16.
- If not you cruisin’, maybe the race car drivers of the late models at South Boston Speedway? The track will be hot with three races on June 16. This NASCAR home track is where the Burton brothers – Jeff and Ward – got their start, and where Ward’s son Jeb can sometimes be seen racing, too.
- Dad will take the helm when he goes out for the Lancaster Creek Paddle on the Rappahannock River on Saturday, June 16. It’s eight miles from Simonson’s to Chinns Mill Pond and you’ll want to keep an eye peeled for Bald Eagles, Osprey, and the old boat graveyard.
Taking it easy …
- Virginia’s wineries have special events for Dad – free tastings, cigars, live music, special bbq’s, and more.
- Gadino Cellars in Washington, June 16
- DuCard in Etlan, June 16-17
- Cardinal Point in Afton, June 17
- Delfosse in Faber, June 17
- Fabbioli Cellars in Leesburg, June 17
- Little Washington in Washington, June 17
- Potomac Point in Stafford, June 17
- Groovy rifts will ring out from Manassas on June 17 at the annual Wine and Jazz Festival. Sample wine and chill out with some renowned jazz musicians in this relaxing atmosphere.
- Go to Bristow to jam with Dave Matthews Band on June 16. Their summer tour will be an awesome reward for fans after a 2011 absence.
- If you’d rather not cook, venture to a natural wonder. The Natural Bridge is hosting a picnic on June 17 complete with grilled chicken, ribs, sausage, and all the fixin’s … even a good beer selection.
- More than 300 artists will line the famed Virginia Beach Boardwalk June 14-17 for the annual Boardwalk Art Show & Festival. The wonderful ocean breeze is the icing on the cake.
- Take him out to the ballgame! The Martinsville Mustangs play host to The Military All-Stars on June 17 at 7 PM. It should be pretty cool to see a ball team in camoflage uniforms!
- Mount Vernon invites your father to meet the country’s father on June 16 and 17. Dad gets in free and will probably find the distillery and gristmill sites most intriguing.
- The Virginia Air & Space Center in Hampton welcomes dad with a free exhibit admission with the purchase of a child’s exhibit admission.
This list is far from comprehensive. There are tons of things to do on Father’s Day weekend and we’re sure to have more events and deals submitted to Virginia.org before then. See more weekend events and deals to keep abreast of the possibilities.
LOVE is at the heart of every Virginia vacation. Virginia is for Lovers.
>> Request your free Virginia Travel Guide and then go to any Virginia Welcome Center for a free thank you gift! <<