Outdoor Fun with the Kiddos
by Casey | Posted on May 14th, 2012
Saturdays are great family days anyway, but this Saturday – May 19 – that is especially true. It’s National Kids to Parks Day and there are loads of fun events.
Virginia has 35 state parks and every single one of them is offering special events this Saturday in recognition of National Kids to Parks Day.
Hop aboard a hay ride at Caledon or Occoneechee; check out the Swamp Stomp at Staunton River; or be among the first to walk the new TRACK Trail at Hungry Mother and Grayson Highlands. TRACK Trail is a family-friendly trail system with activities that introduce kids to the nature around them.
See more Kids to Parks Day Virginia State Park events at dcr.Virginia.gov.
In addition, May 19 is one of several 2012 Kids Fishing Days in Virginia. The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries have chosen several locations to stock trout and host special activities.
- South Fork Holston River at the Riverside Community Center, Smyth County – Food and drinks available for purchase. Kids 12 and under. 9 am to noon
- Beartree Lake in Washington County – Kids 5 to 15. 9 am to 1 pm
- Wolf Creek in Narrows Town Park, Giles County – Free lunch, prizes, and t-shirts. Kids 5 to 8 fish from 10 to 11 am; kids 9 to 15 fish from 11 am to 2 pm
- Big Cedar Creek at Pinnacle Natural Area Preserve, Russell County – Kids 15 and under. Free food and drink. Prizes. 9 am to 2 pm
- Rural Retreat Lake in Wythe County – Lunch provided by Wythe County Parks, goodie bags to all participants. Prizes. 9 am to 1 pm.
- Ed Allen’s Campground Marina in New Kent County – Kids 3 to 13. Some rods/reels are available and some bait provided. 9 am to noon.
More outdoor events that might interest your family this weekend:
- 14th Annual Tour de Chesapeake Cycling Event in Mathews. Kids 6 and under are free; 6 to 12 $20; teens and adults $30-$40.
- Campfire Fun and Lakeside Hayride at Sandy Bottom Nature Park in Hampton includes stories, songs, and s’mores, of course! Register by Thursday at 3 p.m. 757-825-4657. Event is Friday at 7 pm. $5
- The Spring Color Guided Flora & Fauna Hike up Monster Rock Trail in Wytheville is Saturday at 1 pm, departing from the Big Walker Lookout & Country Store.
- A guided nature trail tour is available Saturday at 1 pm at Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre in Bristow. $5/person over 6.
Order your FREE 2012Virginia Travel Guide.