Wine Festivals Abound
by Casey | Posted on August 16th, 2011
Numbering just a few shy of 200, Virginia’s wineries pour their best blends at numerous festivals dedicated to the fruits of their labors. Far too numerous for this to ever be a comprehensive post, here are a few key events you’ll want to jot down. Don’t worry, you can dig further and fill up your days by visiting Virginia.org/WineFestivals.
- Afton – September 3 – Wintergreen Performing Arts International Wine Festival – Explore and compare wines from around the world and, of course, Virginia.
- Lexington – September 10 – Rockbridge Wine Festival – Wine, food, and great music.
- The Plains – September 10-11 – The Wine Festival at The Plains – Showcasing the best of Virginia’s hard-to-find artisan wines, along with fine art, fancy food and tastings of wines that are rarely brought out of the tasting room.
- Millwood – September 23-25 – Shenandoah Valley Hot Air Balloon, Wine & Music Festival – The festival brings balloonists and their colorful airborne craft from far and wide, and of course, wine.
- Moneta – September 24-25 – Smith Mountain Lake Wine Festival – Twenty-eight wineries will participate with 85 juried craft and food vendors. Held rain or shine.
- Stratford – September 24-25 – Chesapeake Bay Wine & Harvest Festival at Stratford Hall – Although the wine will be the highlight, you wouldn’t want to miss the distinctive arts and crafts, specialty foods, live music, wine tasting tips, hot air balloon rides, Great House tours, and the petting zoo.
- Mount Vernon – September 30-Oct 2 – Fall Wine Festival & Sunset Tour at Mount Vernon Estate & Gardens – Enjoy live blues and spectacular views of the Potomac River while sampling wine from 16 Virginia wineries.