Spit a Seed for Me
by Casey | Posted on August 3rd, 2011
Happy National Watermelon Day!
It is my favorite summer fruit and I am not ashamed to say that I could eat a hefty load of that beautiful, pink, watery sweetness. Add a dash of salt and you’ve got an unbeatable picnic “dessert” that everyone will enjoy.
In honor of National Watermelon Day, go grab one! There are numerous Virginia farmers’ markets open today, so pick the one closest to you:
- It’s Green Market Wednesday at the Lynchburg Community Market. Grab your wares before 2 p.m.
- The Orange County Farmers’ Market operates today from noon to 6 p.m.
- Historic Roanoke City Market is a day full of fun. In addition to the fresh goodies, there’s plenty of shopping!
- They grow ‘em big in the southwest! Visit the Southwest Virginia Farmers’ Market in Hillsville today.
- If you’re near Martinsville, hurry to the Uptown Farmers Market before 10 a.m.!
- Virginia Beach Farmers’ Market is open today from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- In Fredericksburg, they’re already picking over the crop! Open 6 a.m. to 6 p.m.
This is just a quick glimpse to show you a few possibilities. See more extensive offerings at www.Virginia.org/FarmersMarkets. While you’re there, go ahead and make your list of visits for next week, as Governor McDonnell has proclaimed August 7-13, 2011 as Virginia Farmer’s Market Week!