by Casey | Posted on May 12th, 2011
If you haven’t filled up your calendar for this month, here are a few cool events you might fancy.
- Luray – May 14 – Festival of Spring – Relax in a Wine Garden, sampling vintages from Virginia Wineries, while enjoying local musicians perform in an outdoor setting. Head over to the Beer Garden for more live acts. Children will be entertained with activities like face painting and train exhibits.
- New Kent – May 21 – Strawberry Hill Races – 79th Running – The Strawberry Hill Races are a salute to Virginia’sequine industry. In 2010, the event featured some of the best steeplechase racing on the East Coast, with four races over hurdles and two on the flat. Central Virginia’s annual ‘rite of spring,’ the event is sanctioned by the National Steeplechase Association and includes five races over jumps and on the flat with total purses of over $70,000.
- Midlothian – May 21 – Virginia Hops and Barley Festival – Ten tastings will be provided and full cups will be available for $5. Brewers will be on site from Starr Hill, Legend, O’Connor and more to discuss their beer. Enjoy live music throughout the day from Southern Tide, Horsehead, Jackass Flats, and headline artist Josh Gracin.
- Hampton – May 24-26 – Afrikan American Festival – 18th Annual – An outdoor, non-alcoholic, family-oriented event that features nonstop entertainment! Over 70 street market vendors will be on site selling authentic and original black art, artifacts, handmade crafts, and more.
- Coeburn – May 26-28 – Dr. Ralph Stanley’s 40th Annual Memorial Weekend Bluegrass Festival – Annual Memorial Bluegrass Festival is a celebration of bluegrass music held at the homeplace of bluegrass legend and Grand Ole Opry honoree Dr. Ralph Stanley. See Ralph and his band, The Clinch Mountain Boys, perform all time favorites along with the likes of Ricky Skaggs, Rhonda Vincent, Gillian Welch and many more.
- Heathsville – May 28 – Heathsville Strawberry Festival – Over 100 artists and crafters with handmade wares. Delicious, freshly-picked peaches AND shortcake. Giant bake sale. Live entertainment.