7 for ’11: Ways to Maximize Your Vacation Dollars
by Casey | Posted on January 5th, 2011
Here are a few tips to help you stretch those coveted bucks a little farther as you plan your 2011 Virginia vacation.
1. Shop smart. Check out the latest discounts and promotions offered by Virginia is for Lovers partners through Virginia.org. Oftentimes the deals found on Virginia.org are only found on Virginia.org.
2. Plan ahead. Advance bookings (and I do mean “paid in advance” bookings) yield huge savings. One example you’ll find through Virginia.org is the Stonewall Jackson Hotel in Staunton.
3. Stay longer. Yep, that’s right. When you extend your stay many accommodations will offer you a cheaper nightly rate. If you’re looking for something soon, this one’s about to end (1/10/11): By the Side of the Road B&B in Harrisonburg is offering 33% off a second night when you book online. Stay two nights at the regular rate and save 66% on your third night! Find more options here.
4. Think outside your accommodation. Seek out ticket and dining savings in addition to your room night(s). A visit to the Historic Triangle is incomplete without visiting Jamestown Settlement and Yorktown Victory Center. When you buy three Annual Passes you can get the fourth free – a good savings for a family of four or more (plus kids under six are free!). Find more ticket savings here and dining savings here.
5. Consider your fuel costs. Believe it or not, many accommodations are still using gas cards to attract visitors (it’s not as 2009 as you think it is). This deal from Shadow Mountain Escape in Luray includes a $25 gas card.
6. Leverage your status. Are you a senior citizen? Did you serve or are you actively serving in the military? What memberships do you hold? All of these should be considered when making travel arrangements. While you typically can’t combine all of those, each one should get you at least a 10% savings.
7. Travel mid-week. If you’re looking for a good deal at a B&B or cabin, try booking your visit in the middle of the week. Not only do your odds of availability skyrocket, but the rates plummet. One example is the fine Mark Addy Inn , a quick drive to/from Charlottesville, where you’ll realize up to a 40% savings! No need to pay extra for your breakfast, in-room flowers or chocolates – those are automatic amenities you can expect from this fine property. Browse for more deals like this here.