October Belongs to Poe
by Casey | Posted on October 21st, 2010
When I think of Halloween, I think of Edgar Allan Poe. You know, spooky images of ravens, skulls, rats and lightning. If that happens to you, capitalize on it. Virginia is Poe’s old stomping grounds.
- Edgar Allan Poe Museum – Richmond, VA – Sunday 11-5; Tuesday-Saturday 10-5. Self-guided tours. Groups welcome. Adults $6; Kids $5
- Unhappy Hour is October 28th and themed “The Fall of the House of Usher” with cash bar and free admission. Wear a costume!
- Historic St. John’s Church – Richmond, VA – Poe’s mother, Elizabeth Arnold Poe, is interred on the grounds of St. John’s.
- Hallowe’en Graveyard Tours are available every 20 minutes beginning at 6 p.m.; last tour begins at 7:40 p.m. Suitable for families. $5/person or $15/family.
- Inquire about the 30-minute Poe Graveyard Tours available year ’round for individuals and groups. This tour includes narrative about Elizabeth Arnold Poe (Poe’s mother), Thomas Willis White (Poe’s editor and employer), and Elmira Shelton (Poe’s alleged fiancée at the time of his death).
- Book a Poe-themed travel package in Richmond with the Linden Row Inn and make a weekend of it! Includes two nights’ accommodations (breakfast, wi-fi, valet, shuttle service), Poe Segway tour, Poe Museum passes, St. John’s Church tour, and Poe tote bag full of memorabilia. $369 + tax
Poe Events This Month:
- Poe in Alexandria – Alexandria, VA – October 30 & 31 at The Lyceum. Suited for ages 12 and older; $15
- Poe’s Playground – Martinsville, VA – Poe-inspired paintings by local artists are on display through October 30th at Piedmont Arts.
- The Stories of Edgar Allan Poe Come Alive – Staunton, VA – Listen as Poe’s stories come alive in hair-raising fashion! Works portrayed include The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart, Spirits of the Dead, and A Dream Within A Dream. October 29th at the Staunton Public Library.